University of Minnesota
Department of American Indian Studies
myU OneStop

Department of American Indian Studies home page.

Ojibwemodaa Eta! Teaching Certificate

Ojibwemodaa Eta!

The Ojibwemodaa Eta! Teaching Certificate was designed to address the critical point of Ojibwe language loss in Minnesota by developing a cadre of Ojibwe language learners, speakers, and teachers. This effort is part of a global indigenous language revitalization movement based on the understanding that language is fundamental to cultural survival and tribal sovereignty.

What You'll Learn

This certificate program will prepare you to take an active teaching role in the American Indian community. You'll gain advanced proficiency and knowledge – both written and oral – of the Ojibwe language. By enrolling in this certificate program, you will:

Certificate Benefits

Enhance your knowledge and skills, learn new skills, or begin working toward an undergraduate or graduate degree. The Ojibwemodaa Eta! Teaching Certificate is:

Required Core Courses (15 Credits):

Elective Courses (3 credits - choose one elective course)

Admission Requirements

To be admitted into the Ojibwemodaa Eta! certificate, you must:

Admission to the certificate program is recommended no later than after completion of the first course.

Application Procedure

Degree Seeking Students
  1. Submit the Ojibwemodaa Eta! application form and following materials to the Department of American Indian Studies, 72 Pleasant St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455:
    1. Unofficial Transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended.
    2. Typed, 350-400 word goal statement describing how the coursework in this certificate program fits into your educational and/or career goals.
  2. Materials that you order to be sent on your behalf:
    Official college transcripts: Arrange to have an official transcript from all colleges or universities attended (even if no credit was earned) submitted to the address below directly from the institution (University of Minnesota transcripts do not need to be submitted by applicant). An official transcript is in a sealed envelope and has an official signature or seal, or is on security paper. Transcripts not sent in this way are unacceptable and must be resent. Each transcript must have been issued within the last year.

    Official high school transcripts (if needed): If you have earned fewer than 26 semester (or 39 quarter) college credits that are transferable to the University of Minnesota, you must arrange to have an official high school transcript submitted to the address below directly from the institution. If you have not graduated from high school, but have taken the GED (high school equivalency), submit your GED test scores.

All transcripts should be sent to:

Office of Admissions, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
240 Williamson Hall, 231 Pillsbury Drive S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0213

We cannot process your application until all materials are received. Please arrange for official transcripts to reach the Office of Admissions on or before the deadline for the semester in which you wish to apply for admission.

If you have questions call American Indian Studies at 612-624-1338 or send an e-mail message to for advising.

Non-Degree Seeking Students
  1. Application for Undergraduate Credit Certificate Admission – College of Continuing Education
  2. Materials that you complete and submit:
    Attach a check or money order payable to the University of Minnesota for the $35 non-refundable application fee. Application fee is not required for currently admitted UM degree-seeking or CCE credit certificate students. Send the completed application form and check or money order to:

    Certificate Application Center
    20 Ruttan Hall
    1994 Buford Ave.
    St. Paul, MN 55108

For more information about CCE please call 612-624-4000 or 1-800-234-6564 or email them at